EASTWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

Neighborhood News

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   Next >  Last >> 
  • Saturday, June 18, 2022 12:49 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Dress in your most patriotic outfit and join us for Eastwood's annual 4th of July Parade and Picnic!

    This year's event will be Saturday, July 2nd. Meet at Playground Park (Lippitt/Sylvania at Sinclair) at 9:00 am to join in the parade. Then be sure to stick around for a neighborhood block party from 10 am to noon, complete with a water slide bounce house, snow cones, face painting, and more. Plus a cookout with hot dogs (regular and tofu) and cold watermelon. 

    Or lend your support by cheering from your porch! The parade departs from Playground Park, goes up Sylvania, then west on Vinemont, and east on Creekmere back to the park. 

    Your dues to Eastwood Neighborhood Association make this and other events possible. Please give generously: https://eastwooddallas.org/

    YOU are needed to pitch in to this community-made event:

    • Be the parade leader! Decorate a vehicle to lead. Provide minions to help wrangle the parade participants.
    • Provide cold bliss on a hot day by operating the snow cone maker. 
    • Make children happy by applying temporary tattoos. (Where are the two moms from last year? Y'all were great!) 
    • Crowd control at the bounce house. 
    • Come early to help set up. Stay afterward to help clean up. 

    Please contact ENA Social Chair Lauren Yates to help: 803.414.6857.



  • Saturday, June 11, 2022 3:30 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    A few years ago, a large chinkapin oak fell in Playground Park (Lippit at Sinclair) in the DIxon Branch Greenbelt. Dallas Park Department policy is to allow most fallen trees to decompose, which provides great shelter for wildlife and wood-boring insects that feed birds. During that process, Eastwood Riparian seeded the area with acorns, pecans, and wildflower seeds, letting the fallen tree provide shelter for the young emerging plants. But an Eastwood resident complained and pushed the park department mightily. The tree was cut up and taken away. All the saplings and plants were leveled in the process. 

    Starting last fall, and working with the park department, Eastwood Riparian began reconstructing our work. A thick layer of mulch was laid down and we waited to see what would emerge. Now it's time to cull what's not desired and encourage what is. Step one this spring was removing  the hedge parsley, giant ragweed, and other undesirables. Amy Martin and Kathleen Trotter took on the task, made urgent by the need to spiff up the park for Eastwood's July 4th parade and picnic. 

    The scene: A little cluttered with saplings in need of thinning and unwanted aggressive plants.  

    Hedge parsley, whose nasty burs get caught in everything. 

    Prickly lettuce is a monster! 

    The carnage: Two large piles of pulled hedge parsley, giant ragweed, and prickly lettuce. You can see them along Lippit. 


    Here are a few things we liberated

    Hog peanut. A volunteer. 

    Inland sea oats. Seeded by Amy with seeds from her and Michael Parkey's yards. 

    Elderflower shrub, grown and planted by Sam Hudson. 

    White avens. A volunteer. 

    Eve's necklace tree — lots of these! Seeded by Amy from ones in the greenbelt. 

    Rosinweed. Stop by and touch the wildly rough leaves. Seeded by Amy with seeds from the entry garden. 

    Young frostweed. Will get as tall as the rosinweed. Seeded by Amy with seeds from the greenbelt. 

    Collateral damage. Amy's pants coated with hedge parsley burrs. 

    Join us at 8 am on Saturday June 18 to finish the task. Michael will direct us on which saplings stay or go. Need some strong folks to dig up the prickly lettuce we were unable to pull. Amy will treat the few poison ivy plants. Still some hedge parsley to pull in the main park area. 
















  • Tuesday, May 17, 2022 2:01 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Carmen Comes to Eastwood + ENA general meeting

    Thursday, May 19, 7:00 PM

    Central Lutheran Church  - 1000 Easton Rd, between Lake Gardens and Easton Place

    Due to the toasty weather forecasted for Thursday evening, our May gathering has been moved from the park to Central Lutheran Church. Join us this Thursday, May 19, for a brief general meeting followed by Carmen, the famous opera by Georges Bizet. 

    Carmen is an intense tale of passion and intrigue set in exotic Spain. This adaptation is the wonderful 2010 Metropolitan Opera production starring Elina Garanca and Roberto Alagna. The video has English subtitles so we follow the plot while listening to French, the "language of love".

    Grab a picnic blanket, pack some snacks and enjoy the "fiery" Carmen in a nice, cool setting!


  • Wednesday, April 06, 2022 5:02 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Grab your basket and join the fun at the Spring Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday, April 9, from 11 am to 2 pm at the Dixon Branch Greenbelt Park (Lippitt/ Sylvania at Sinclair). 

    Come for the egg hunt, face-painting and games! Watch the cotton candy spin and enjoy some tasty treats! Come get to know your Eastwood neighbors!

    Sure to be a great time for kids of all ages! Dogs on leashes welcome!

    Brought to you by Eastwood Neighborhood Association — made possible by your dues. Join here!  

  • Wednesday, March 30, 2022 5:36 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    March 30, 2022


    Councilwoman Paula Blackmon

    1500 Marilla Street, Dallas Texas 75201


    Re:Shoreline Church development proposal

    Dear Councilwoman Blackmon:

    As President of the Eastwood Neighborhood Association (“ENA”) I am addressing several local/neighborhood concerns with respect to the developer’s plan to convert the Shoreline Church on Garland Road into a residential community.  To this end we are supporting the Lochwood Neighborhood Association (“LNA”), the Eastlake Medical Building (“EMB”), and Modern Tot’s.

    First and foremost, of course, is the Eastwood neighborhood’s vital concern with respect to flooding. For the ENA flooding is an overwhelmingly paramount issue.  Nineteen homes in Eastwood flood regularly due to increased development upstream with no floodwater mitigation. That is 19 too many, and we will not stand by as more of our residents’ homes are threatened.

    For the Eastwood neighborhood to even consider this to be an acceptable project it will have to incorporate complete stormwater management ON SITE. Otherwise, storm water from this development will go directly into the Dixon Branch and immediately cause an increase in the already untenable flooding situation in our neighborhood.

    The ENA’s specific objective is to do everything in its power to protect our residents, even if it means laboring mightily to deny all rezoning efforts at this site.  We are aware that the City of Dallas is probably about fifty (50) years behind best stormwater practices, so the time is ripe to accomplish that in any new development.

    If the floodwater mitigation issue is met, then we suggest these various ways to reduce the negative impact of this development upon its immediate neighbors:

    A step-down design such that the tallest structures would be closest to Garland Road and/or the center of the site, stepping down to single story where the development is adjacent to single family residences.

    A generous landscape buffer adjacent to the single-family homes in addition to development standards requiring the largest buffer to be on the front of the property. 

    Storm water detention could be accomplished in the landscape buffers, providing a nice amenity AND flood control.

    We all think that it is very important to stress the “Garland Road Vision” which included three (3) story heights for new construction, not four (4).  Further, the EMB should not be forced to build a wall to protect its property, a wall that will, certainly, become a blemish on the overall landscape and will, obviously, because of the dark corners that will form, create hidden places for crime, especially opportunities to steal catalytic convertors, as one glaring example. 

    ENA generally supports Lochwood Neighborhood Association, our sister association directly across Easton Road, with respect to its position and opposition to the proposed apartment development on the Shoreline Church property. The concerns they have expressed are of great importance to the immediate neighbors of this proposed development. 

    None of the neighborhoods actually oppose development along the Garland Avenue corridor. As you are probably aware, we conditionally supported the proposed residential development on the other side of Garland Road, on the corner with Peavy Road, where the Garland Thrift Store is no longer located, and so far we are pleased at its progress.

    Thank you for your time,

    Scooter Smith, President

     cc:

    • Kyle Bickman (The Modern Tot)
    • Neil Felder ( Eastlake Medical Building)
    • Scott Robson (President of Lochwood Neighborhood Association)
    • Eastwood Neighborhood Association Board of Directors

  • Tuesday, February 22, 2022 4:38 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Minutes of the Board of Directors Meeting of the Eastwood Neighborhood Association, held as a virtual meeting via Zoom, at 7:00 p.m. on January 20, 2022.


          I.          Call to Order

    Scooter Smith called the meeting to order at 7:06 p.m.

        II.          Roll Call of Officers

    Present: 

    Scooter Smith, President

    David Cossum, Vice President

    Terri Hebert, Secretary

    Brian Cade, Membership Chair

    Karen Cott, New Neighbors Chair

    Amy Martin, Communications Chair

    Darrell Wood, VIP and Signs Chair

    Michael Parkey, Riparian/Streets & Creeks Chair

    Lauren Yates, Social Committee Chair

    Greg Jacobs, General Counsel/Emergency Response Liaison

    Absent:

     Karen Babb, Treasurer

    Cori Robarge, Playground Chair

    Also present:

    John Walls, Former President

      III.          Approval of the Minutes of the Regular Meeting

    Minutes from November meeting were not approved as they were not prepared following the meeting.  Terri Hebert will prepare for next meeting in February.  Both the November and January meeting minutes will then be submitted for approval.

      IV.          Financial Report

    Karen Babb was unable to attend the meeting, no financial report was given.

        V.          Committee Reports

    Each committee chair gave their reports.

    Membership Committee – Brian Cade reported.

    A.    Brian will be ordering door hangers again with a target to start distributing the first week of February.  John Walls volunteered to coordinate the placement of the door hangers with the block captains.  Brian also volunteered the services of his daughter who is looking for some service credits.  John to coordinate everyone.
    B.    Emails for some renewals, went out on January 1, 2022 with the rest to follow in March.
    C.    Neighborhood signs encouraging membership will be placed in various locations starting on March 1, 2022 and will remain up for approximately one month.  Amy Martin will include an item in the next newsletter.
    D.    5 new homeowners joined since the General Meeting in May.

    VIP/Signs – Darrell Wood Reported

    A.    The next class for VIP training is 9:00 a.m. on February 19 at the Northeast police station. 

    Riparian Committee – Michael Parkey Reported

    A.    Notification was posted to Nextdoor requesting volunteers to assist with cleaning up and cutting back dead vegetation on Sunday, January 23rd. 
    B.    Next project will be winter prairie mowing which still needs to be scheduled.
    C.    There has been no response from the Dallas Parks dept. on our discussions to formalize an agreement with ENA over projects and work in the greenbelt and park.  Repeated requests have been made for progress or updates.  All requested information was submitted in April of 2021.   

    Streets & Creeks Committee – Michael Parkey Reported

    A.    Nothing new to report.

    Social Committee – Lauren Yates Reported

    A.    Easter Egg Hunt in the Park – The group discussed dates and times that would be appropriate given the weather and daylight at that time of year.  Saturday, April 9th (one week before Easter) from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. was decided as the ideal time.  Everyone agreed that the event was contingent on the status of COVID at that time. 

    The group also discussed the potential to purchase pre-stuffed Easter eggs to avoid the significant amount of time required to stuff them with volunteer help. It was estimated that approximately 1000 eggs would be required.  Brian reported that these types of eggs can be purchased on Amazon. Lauren agreed to research so that a potential request for approval can happen at the February meeting.

    The group discussed the need to break the Easter egg hunt out by age groups similar to what was done when the last hunt in the park was held.  The groups were 1-5 years and 6 and older.  Everyone agreed this would be the best approach.

    Finally, the group discussed whether to provide beverages (juice boxes) and snacks (popcorn, cotton candy, snow cones) including whether each of the board and committee members could bring something.  Everyone agreed that we should at least provide beverages.  Lauren agreed to coordinate this.

    B.    Night at the Opera in the Park –The group discussed a potential event in the park centered around Opera music.  Michael Parkey reported that a neighborhood homeowner has a huge opera cd collection that can be used.  The group agreed to discuss further.

    Playground Committee – Cori Robarge

    A.    As Cori was unable to attend the meeting, no new information was reported

    New Neighbor Committee – Karen Cott Reported

    A.    Delivered three welcoming baskets in the last two weeks and one in December.
    B.    Secured 2 new businesses to provide gift certificates/cards for the welcoming baskets: Lovers Pizza and El Porton. 
    C.    Reported that El Porton expressed a desire to provide gift packages/baskets for future neighborhood events such as our general meeting or Neighborhood Night out.  Karen noted that we will take them up on this offer.
    D.    Continue to pursue potential new gift certificate/card from other businesses including Yogi’s Sushi shop. Owner has agreed but manager has not followed through yet.   

    Communications Committee – Amy Martin Reported

    A.    Karen Cott reported that there might be a problem with the membership system, Amy to put out inquiry in the next newsletter to see if others have experienced this problem.
      VI.          Unfinished Business

    Scooter Smith gave the report as follows:

    Scooter sent email to Larkspur Capital who is the developer of the residential project planned for the Garland Road Thrift Store site requesting consideration of Eastlake as a name for the planned neighborhood.  Developer responded that the name seemed appropriate and that the recommendation would be passed along.
    VII.          New Business

    No new business was discussed by the Board

    VIII.          Next Meeting Date

    The next meeting of the Board is scheduled for February 17, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.

    The meeting adjourned at 8:01 p.m.


  • Tuesday, February 22, 2022 3:55 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Minutes of the Board of Directors Meeting of the Eastwood Neighborhood Association, held at the Neighborhood Park, in Dallas, TX at 5:30 p.m. on  Thursday, November 18, 2021.


          I.          Call to Order

    John Walls called the meeting to order

        II.          Roll Call of Officers

    Present: 

    John Walls, President

    Scooter Smith, Vice President

    Karen Babb, Treasurer

    Brian Cade, Membership Committee Chair

    Karen Cott, New Neighbors Committee Chair

    Amy Martin, Communications Committee Chair

    Darrell Wood, VIP and Signs Committee Chair

    Michael Parkey, Riparian Committee Chair

    Cori Robarge, Playground Committee Chair

    Lauren Yates, Social Committee Committee

    Greg Jacobs, General Counsel/Emergency Response Liaison

      III.          Approval of the Minutes of the Regular Meeting

    No meeting minutes were approved.

      IV.          Financial Report

    No financial report was given

        V.          Presentation of Reports

    Due to the meeting being held in conjunction with Movie Night, a limited set of committee reports were given.

    A.    Social Committee – John reported.

    Due to COVID concerns, social events were dialed back in 2021.  However, the board and social committees did bring back the July 4th parade and National Night Out.  More is planned in the coming year.

    B.    Membership Committee – John reported.

    The voluntary annual donation of $20 to join the Association means that the group has the funds to arrange various events such as, Movie Night, making improvements to the park and taking care of the greenbelt and entrances to the neighborhood.  Everyone was encouraged to consider joining and contributing.

      VI.          Election of Officers

    John first thanked all the current board members and committee chairs.  The following were unanimously elected to officer positions with no nominations made from the floor:

    A.    President:  Scooter Smith
    B.    Vice President:  David Cossum
    C.    Treasurer:  Karen Babb
    D.    Secretary:  Terri Hebert

    All committee chairs were officially appointed by the President

    VII.          New Business

    No new business was introduced at the meeting.

    VIII.          Next Meeting Date

    The next meeting of the Board is scheduled for January, 20, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.


  • Friday, January 28, 2022 12:29 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Scooter Smith has been doing our website and newsletter for over 15 years. Now that he’s president, and also an active member of Eastwood Riparian and VIP, he’s way too overloaded! 

    ENA needs someone take over the newsletter, website and generally modernize our communications for this era of social media and texting. It can be a team with a techno person, a writer to craft copy for the website and newsletters, and an artistic type to handle photographs and layout. Contact Scooter here. 

    Do you have an artistic flair? Are you great at making fliers? We need you to help us make our communications more visual. Starting with materials for our membership drive which begins in March and then the Easter Egg Hunt in April. A social media person would also be grand. Contact Amy Martin here

  • Friday, January 28, 2022 12:26 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    The next Northeast Dallas Police Department Volunteers in Patrol class is Saturday, February 19 from 9 am to 1 pm at Highland Oaks Church of Christ, 10805 Walnut Hill at LBJ in northeast Dallas. Northeast has over 1000 VIPs and is growing strong. 

    The applications must be submitted no later than Wednesday February 16. Download your application here. 

    To submit your application, scan and email it to Senior Corporal Amber Oliver #10113 here or mail to or drop it off at the Northeast Dallas Police Department station at 9915 East Northwest Highway, Dallas TX 75238. 

    Please email Senior Corporal Oliver or call 214-670-7772 with questions. An email will be sent out with complete information after your background check has been completed.

  • Friday, January 28, 2022 12:20 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Have you noticed the wide array of colorful pumpkins along Lippitt? That’s the work of Joe Piccola. Take a closer look. Squirrels and other wildlife are happily snacking on them! 




<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   Next >  Last >> 
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software