EASTWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

MINUTES - BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING - JANUARY 2022

Tuesday, February 22, 2022 4:38 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

Minutes of the Board of Directors Meeting of the Eastwood Neighborhood Association, held as a virtual meeting via Zoom, at 7:00 p.m. on January 20, 2022.


      I.          Call to Order

Scooter Smith called the meeting to order at 7:06 p.m.

    II.          Roll Call of Officers

Present: 

Scooter Smith, President

David Cossum, Vice President

Terri Hebert, Secretary

Brian Cade, Membership Chair

Karen Cott, New Neighbors Chair

Amy Martin, Communications Chair

Darrell Wood, VIP and Signs Chair

Michael Parkey, Riparian/Streets & Creeks Chair

Lauren Yates, Social Committee Chair

Greg Jacobs, General Counsel/Emergency Response Liaison

Absent:

 Karen Babb, Treasurer

Cori Robarge, Playground Chair

Also present:

John Walls, Former President

  III.          Approval of the Minutes of the Regular Meeting

Minutes from November meeting were not approved as they were not prepared following the meeting.  Terri Hebert will prepare for next meeting in February.  Both the November and January meeting minutes will then be submitted for approval.

  IV.          Financial Report

Karen Babb was unable to attend the meeting, no financial report was given.

    V.          Committee Reports

Each committee chair gave their reports.

Membership Committee – Brian Cade reported.

A.    Brian will be ordering door hangers again with a target to start distributing the first week of February.  John Walls volunteered to coordinate the placement of the door hangers with the block captains.  Brian also volunteered the services of his daughter who is looking for some service credits.  John to coordinate everyone.
B.    Emails for some renewals, went out on January 1, 2022 with the rest to follow in March.
C.    Neighborhood signs encouraging membership will be placed in various locations starting on March 1, 2022 and will remain up for approximately one month.  Amy Martin will include an item in the next newsletter.
D.    5 new homeowners joined since the General Meeting in May.

VIP/Signs – Darrell Wood Reported

A.    The next class for VIP training is 9:00 a.m. on February 19 at the Northeast police station. 

Riparian Committee – Michael Parkey Reported

A.    Notification was posted to Nextdoor requesting volunteers to assist with cleaning up and cutting back dead vegetation on Sunday, January 23rd. 
B.    Next project will be winter prairie mowing which still needs to be scheduled.
C.    There has been no response from the Dallas Parks dept. on our discussions to formalize an agreement with ENA over projects and work in the greenbelt and park.  Repeated requests have been made for progress or updates.  All requested information was submitted in April of 2021.   

Streets & Creeks Committee – Michael Parkey Reported

A.    Nothing new to report.

Social Committee – Lauren Yates Reported

A.    Easter Egg Hunt in the Park – The group discussed dates and times that would be appropriate given the weather and daylight at that time of year.  Saturday, April 9th (one week before Easter) from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. was decided as the ideal time.  Everyone agreed that the event was contingent on the status of COVID at that time. 

The group also discussed the potential to purchase pre-stuffed Easter eggs to avoid the significant amount of time required to stuff them with volunteer help. It was estimated that approximately 1000 eggs would be required.  Brian reported that these types of eggs can be purchased on Amazon. Lauren agreed to research so that a potential request for approval can happen at the February meeting.

The group discussed the need to break the Easter egg hunt out by age groups similar to what was done when the last hunt in the park was held.  The groups were 1-5 years and 6 and older.  Everyone agreed this would be the best approach.

Finally, the group discussed whether to provide beverages (juice boxes) and snacks (popcorn, cotton candy, snow cones) including whether each of the board and committee members could bring something.  Everyone agreed that we should at least provide beverages.  Lauren agreed to coordinate this.

B.    Night at the Opera in the Park –The group discussed a potential event in the park centered around Opera music.  Michael Parkey reported that a neighborhood homeowner has a huge opera cd collection that can be used.  The group agreed to discuss further.

Playground Committee – Cori Robarge

A.    As Cori was unable to attend the meeting, no new information was reported

New Neighbor Committee – Karen Cott Reported

A.    Delivered three welcoming baskets in the last two weeks and one in December.
B.    Secured 2 new businesses to provide gift certificates/cards for the welcoming baskets: Lovers Pizza and El Porton. 
C.    Reported that El Porton expressed a desire to provide gift packages/baskets for future neighborhood events such as our general meeting or Neighborhood Night out.  Karen noted that we will take them up on this offer.
D.    Continue to pursue potential new gift certificate/card from other businesses including Yogi’s Sushi shop. Owner has agreed but manager has not followed through yet.   

Communications Committee – Amy Martin Reported

A.    Karen Cott reported that there might be a problem with the membership system, Amy to put out inquiry in the next newsletter to see if others have experienced this problem.
  VI.          Unfinished Business

Scooter Smith gave the report as follows:

Scooter sent email to Larkspur Capital who is the developer of the residential project planned for the Garland Road Thrift Store site requesting consideration of Eastlake as a name for the planned neighborhood.  Developer responded that the name seemed appropriate and that the recommendation would be passed along.
VII.          New Business

No new business was discussed by the Board

VIII.          Next Meeting Date

The next meeting of the Board is scheduled for February 17, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.

The meeting adjourned at 8:01 p.m.


Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software